Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Taken from this webpage
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel-macy-stafford/the-3-second-pause-that-can-save-a-morning-spare-some-pain_b_7930190.html


I Am My Response
I am my response to my child's mismatched outfit and the crumpled report card at the bottom of her backpack.
I am my response to my spouse who returned from the store without toilet paper but remembered the tailgate snacks.
I am my response to my anxious parent who repeats the same worries and insists on giving me coupons I do not need.
I am my response to my colleague with sad eyes and frequent absences.
I am my response to my 15-minutes-late hairdresser with a sick child.
I am my response to my neighbor with heart-heavy problems and little family support.
I am my response to the irate driver who cut me off and made an obscene gesture in 
front of my children.
I am my response to the waitress who got my order wrong.
I am my response to myself when I forgot the one thing I most needed to do today.
I am my response to spilled coffee, long lines and middle-of-the-night wake-ups.
My responses are not perfect... they are not always ideal... I am human, after all.
But if I strive to offer responses underlined with 
grace,
understanding, 
kindness,
empathy, 
and care,
That is something. 
That is something.
Because my responses are more than just words. 
They represent 
who I am, 
who I want to be, 
and how I will someday be remembered.
Today I will not respond perfectly. I know. 
But if I strive to communicate with hints of kindness and traces of love, 
That will be something 
That will be something
That could mean more than words.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to argue with you that we are our responses. However as Maya Angelou put it "People won't remember what you said but how you made them feel." we might piss off few sensitive ppl with our response but you know what ppl need to grow up and reflect b/c "it takes two to tango." The fact that your intention is "strive to offer responses underlined with grace," makes you a 'Rising Goddess.' All the best to you Rising Goddess! And one last thing YOU ARE MUCH MORE AND LARGER THAN YOUR RESPONSES.

    ReplyDelete